Calgary’s favourite holiday tradition is back with several new features!
Calgary, AB – The Calgary Zoo is excited to light up the holidays with another year of ZOOLIGHTS! The largest seasonal light display in Western Canada turns 17 and will be showcasing some new additions like Santa’s Oasis, an ice skating rink and a singing tree. The event will again be presented by JSS Barristers.
“ZOOLIGHTS is a much anticipated Calgary community tradition celebrating the holiday season. It’s a privilege for JSS Barristers to support Calgarians’ favourite event at Calgary’s most visited attraction,” states Bryan C. Duguid, Managing Partner of JSS Barristers. “JSS Barristers is proud to be the presenting sponsor of ZOOLIGHTS again this year, as part of the multi-year commitment to the Zoo by the firm, and in conjunction with the firm’s other substantial support of the Zoo.”
This year’s highlights:
- Over 1.5 million lights and 200 displays
- New! Ice Skating – presented by Mahogony Lakeside Living, with free hot chocolate at the rink December 11th.
- New! Santa’s Oasis Presented by REMAX featuring the Frosted and Sugarplum Forests
- New! The Singing Tree featuring Calgary choirs – most Friday and Saturday nights
- New! Kids’ Zone – fun and games on the lawn where the former South America building was. Sunday nights try Canon’s new SLR camera and receive free photos.
- Candy Land presented by Cococo Chocolatiers – Friday nights Cococo organic chocolate bars will be handed out
- Make your holiday wish at our Wishing Trees presented by Chinook Centre.
- Santa’s Selfies – watch for the life size Santa and take a selfie #santaselfie to win prizes – presented by REMAX.
- Non-perishable food items and cash donations will be accepted for the Calgary Interfaith Food bank. For every family donation, receive a 2 for 1 admission ticket for a future visit to the zoo.
As a conservation organization, the Calgary Zoo is conscious of energy consumption in hosting a show such as ZOOLIGHTS. The use of mini-lights, rope lighting and LED (light emitting diodes) will use significantly less energy than standard bulbs in years past. In addition, the Calgary Zoo supplements its power supply by using its own generators to ease demand on the City of Calgary’s power grid.
Tips to ensure the best ZOOLIGHTS experience:
- Buy tickets online and skip the line.
- Check the weather and be prepared that on warm winter nights ZOOLIGHTS will be busy!
- Don’t enjoy the crowds? Consider a week night or a cooler evening.
WHEN: November 21, 2014 – January 3, 2015
Event runs nightly 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. (Gates close at 8:30 p.m.)
Closed December 25, 2014
Zoo Year’s Eve (December 31, 2014) requires a separate
WHERE: Enter through NORTH GATE ONLY.
PRICES: General Admission (16 yrs and up) $ 14.00 (plus GST)
Child (3-15 yrs) $ 11.00 (plus GST)
For bulk tickets for groups of 50 or more call 232-9300.
Tickets available at the gate or beat the crowd by
purchasing tickets on-line at www.calgaryzoo.com.