Harper Government launches first-ever CRA mobile app for small and medium-sized businesses.
Vancouver, British Columbia – The Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of National Revenue, today took part in a roundtable with businesses to launch the first-ever mobile app for small and medium-sized businesses from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The new Business Tax Reminders mobile app is another example of our Government’s client-focused and technology-driven approach to reducing red tape for businesses.
The new app lets business users create custom reminders and alerts for key CRA due dates related to installment payments, returns, and remittances. Our Government developed the app following feedback from consultations with small and medium-sized businesses on how to improve the CRA’s services while reducing red tape and making it easier for businesses to fulfill their tax obligations.
This is just one example of how our Government is improving service options to meet the needs of Canada’s entrepreneurs. As part of the Government of Canada’s Red Tape Reduction Action Plan, a growing number of service enhancements and measures have been launched to reduce red tape for businesses, including several introduced in Economic Action Plan 2014, which the CRA is implementing this year. For example, since April, corporations have been able to file amended T2 income tax returns using commercial tax preparation software, and taxpayer representatives have been able to send an authorization request (Form RC59), electronically to the CRA on behalf of the businesses they represent. These are specific examples of the real results we are delivering for small and medium-sized businesses across the country.
For more information on the Business Tax Reminders mobile app, go to www.cra.gc.ca/mobileapps
- The Business Tax Reminders mobile app is now available free of charge on Apple iOS, Google Android, and BlackBerry mobile platforms, and will have a similar look, feel, and functionality across each platform.
- To download the mobile app, go to your favourite app store and search “Business Tax Reminders”, or visit the CRA Business Tax Reminders mobile app page, and follow your app store’s download instructions.
- The mobile app lets users customize their reminder system with different methods of alert, either calendar or pop-up messages, to meet their business needs.
- The Business Tax Reminders mobile app is recommended for small and medium-sized businesses. Large businesses can use the app at their discretion if they do not have a complex tax situation.
- The app is designed to benefit businesses. It is not intended for individual use.
“Our Government is committed to reducing red tape and improving services for small and medium-sized businesses. Our new mobile app is only the latest in a series of implemented reforms that demonstrate our continued commitment to work with the business community in Canada, ensuring the CRA’s online business services meet the needs of its users.” – The Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of National Revenue
“Running a small business in Canada means dealing with a lot of red tape. CFIB is pleased to support CRA in its efforts to reduce the paper burden involved in being a compliant taxpayer, including the new CRA mobile app. We support all government initiatives that help small businesses manage their tax obligations more easily, giving them more time to run their business and support the Canadian economy.” – Laura Jones, Executive Vice-President, Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB)
“We applaud the Government of Canada for its commitment to reduce red tape. Hearing from those on the front lines within the business community is essential if barriers to growth are to be identified and eliminated.” – Kevin Dancey, President and CEO, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
(Canada Revenue Agency)