Parks Canada continues to work with the US National Park Service to manage a forest fire near Goat Haunt Montana, Glacier National Park. The fire remains approximately 10 hectares (25 acres) in size.
Parks Canada crews responded to a report of a forest fire from US National Park staff at Goat Haunt, Glacier National Park. A helicopter, which was on standby in Waterton Lakes National Park, was immediately deployed to bucket the fire. The fire initially spread south and is approximately 100 m wide.
The fire is on the slopes of Campbell Mountain, on the west side of Upper Waterton Lake.
Restrictions and Closures
Waterton Lakes National Park:(see Important Bulletins at
- Lakeshore trail from the junction with Bertha Lake trail to Boundary Bay, and Boundary Creek trail from Summit Lake to Boundary Bay Pass Creek Day Use Area (see map below)
- Pass Creek Day Use Area
Glacier National Park: (http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/infobull/closures.cfm.)
- Boulder Pass Trail from Francis Lake Campground to Goat Haunt
- Boundary Trail from Goat Haunt to the International boundary
- Waterton Valley Trail from Stony Indian Junction to Goat Haunt
Back Country Campground Closures
- Goat Haunt Shelter
- Waterton River Campground, Kootenai Lakes Campground, Janet Lake Campground, Lake Francis Campground
*Waterton Shoreline Cruise boat is still running from Waterton to Goat
Haunt with no back country access