What is Mathletics and how can I use it effectively at home?
Mathletics is a web-based learning program that integrates home and school learning via the internet. It is one of the world’s most used educational websites. As an online learning resource it is in line with the next generation in learning. Here at Turner Valley School every child in grades 1-6 has an account for Mathletics.
Every class uses Mathletics in the classroom differently. In some classes it is used as a class activity, in other classrooms it is used as a station during group activities. It can be used for practice of basic facts, or for curriculum based activities. It can and should be used at home as well. Here are a couple of ideas for use at home:
- Set up a schedule at home to dedicate time, so you and your child know when Mathletics time is
- Take an active role in your child’s progress by sitting occasionally with them
- Place your child’s login in a place at home so that you know where it is
- Encourage your child to use mathletics 3-5 times a week for 10-20 minutes a time
- Encourage a balance between the full curriculum section and live mathletics, not just the one area every time
- The support center in each activity will help show how to solve a particular problem
- Encourage your child to do activities that challenge, rather than those he/she finds easy
- Celebrate your child’s success.
A great feature about Mathletics is it can be accessed anytime and from any device. There is even a Mathletic app for phones/tablets. Another great thing is students have instant feedback after each question, telling them if they are doing it correctly or not. And of course, it can be a fun way to practice math. If you do not know your child’s login please contact your child’s teacher.
Happy Math Practicing!