Property rights and new accountability measures top the Prentice government’s fall agenda.
The fall legislative session kicked off with a Speech from the Throne that promised new legislation to enhance accountability.
Bill 1, focused on respecting property rights, was introduced by Premier Jim Prentice and will be the foundation of a new relationship between government and property owners.
“Respect, integrity and accountability will be the watchwords of this new government as we position Alberta for continued prosperity in the years ahead. First and foremost, government serves its citizens, and that will be our guiding principle as we build an even better quality of life for all Albertans.”
~ Jim Prentice, Premier
Other highlights from the throne speech, read today by His Honour, Colonel (Ret’d) the Honourable Donald S. Ethell, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, include:
- Developing a new climate change framework
- Maintaining a contingency fund to protect priority programs from revenue volatility and respond to emergencies
- Developing a long-term transportation strategy
- Establishing a five-year and 25-year capital plan to meet health, education, seniors’ care and skill training infrastructure needs
- Advancing comprehensive flood mitigation work
- Introducing a straightforward budget presentation to ensure Albertans have a clearer understanding of the province’s finances
- Introducing legislation to enhance protection for condo owners and buyers