30 years ago, two physicians, Dr. Rob Abernethy and Dr. Greg Powell, shared the belief that they and others working in emergency medicine could save more lives if only they saw patients sooner. Out of that vision and with the pioneering support of the Lions of Alberta Foundation, STARS was born on December 1, 1985. This year, we celebrate an incredible milestone for our grassroots organization that has now flown more than 29,000 missions from six bases across three provinces.
Join us in commemorating 30 years of care in the air.
You are invited to join STARS air ambulance for an open house celebrating 30 years of care in the air on Saturday, September 26 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Everything takes place at 1441 Aviation Park NE Calgary. (click address for directions)
- Meet STARS pilots and air medical crew
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the STARS base and helicopter
- Meet STARS VIPs (Very Important Patients)
- STARS merchandise table
- STARBear the mascot will be at the event
- Tour the Mobile Education Unit and see the human patient simulator