All babies cry. It is how they tell you they need something. A crying baby may:
- Be hungry or gassy
- Have a wet or soiled diaper
- Be sick or in pain
- Be lonely.
Sometimes babies just need to cry and may cry for no apparent reason. Sometimes babies can’t stop crying no matter what you do.
When this happens, feeling frustrated is normal. Never shake a baby for any reason.
Having a plan to cope with crying can help. Here are some ideas to try:
- Check with a healthcare provider to see if your baby is sick or in pain
- Check what your baby may need. Are they hungry, wet, bored?
- Feed your baby slowly and burp them often
- Change your baby’s diaper
- Take your baby for a walk
- Play soothing music
- Run the vacuum
- Gently massage your baby’s tummy or back
- Snuggle your baby against your chest
- Gently rock your baby
- Sing, read or talk softly
- Put your baby in a baby swing
- Give your baby a warm bath
- Encourage your baby to suck a soother
- Cut down the noise and light around your baby.