11:14 AM MDT Tuesday 26 July 2016
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
- M.D. of Foothills near Cayley
- M.D. of Foothills near High River and Aldersyde
- M.D. of Foothills near Longview and Eden Valley Res.
- M.D. of Foothills near Okotoks and De Winton
- M.D. of Foothills near Priddis and Brown-Lowery Prov. Park
- M.D. of Foothills near Turner Valley and Black Diamond
- M.D. of Willow Creek near Claresholm and Stavely
- M.D. of Willow Creek near Nanton and Parkland
- Rocky View Co. near Bragg Creek and Tsuu T’ina Res.
Conditions are favourable for the development of dangerous thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, damaging hail and heavy rain.
Thunderstorms are forecast to develop this afternoon. A few thunderstorms could become severe.
Fast-moving water across a road can sweep a vehicle away. Very large hail can damage property, break windows, dent vehicles and cause serious injury. Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles. Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors!
Severe thunderstorm watches are issued when atmospheric conditions are favourable for the development of thunderstorms that could produce one or more of the following: large hail, damaging winds, torrential rainfall.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet reports to #ABStorm.
Source: Environment Canada