At approximately 12:20pm yesterday, RCMP received a report of an unknown powdered substance that was discovered when a Canada Post employee opened a community mailbox in the Oriole Park neighbourhood. As a safety precaution, RCMP called the City of Red Deer Hazardous Materials staff to attend. A portion of Oak Street was temporarily closed but has since been re-opened to traffic.
The powder was determined to be a non-toxic substance, believed to be the output of a fire extinguisher that was located near the community mailbox.
Red Deer RCMP thank citizens for their patience during the street closures.