Ottawa, ON – On August 10, a Memorial Baton Relay (MBR) will kick-off in Edmonton, Alberta, as the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) mark 100 years of service. Approximately 50 soldiers from the regiment’s 2nd Battalion (2 PPCLI) will run through select cities and towns across five provinces, retracing the symbolic route taken by the PPCLI Originals as they marshalled for service in 1914 on the eve of the First World War. The relay is being run to Ottawa where it will arrive on September 18.
- To mark their 100th Anniversary on August 10, 2014, PPCLI MBR soldiers will be carrying a Memorial Baton containing the names of 1,866 PPCLI members who have fallen in active service to Canada over the last century.
- The MBR will be making 22 stops between Edmonton and Ottawa and will cross five provinces — Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.
- The PPCLI will be recognized, alongside the Royal 22e Régiment (R22eR) who are also celebrating their centennial, at Canada Army Run, September 21. This year’s Army Run technical race shirts feature a commemorative design, giving special recognition to the PPCLI and the R22eR.
- Displays will be open to the public at scheduled stops along the route, showcasing military vehicles, weapons, equipment, and uniforms worn by the PPCLI soldiers from 1914 to the present day.
- NHL Alumni Dave ‘Tiger’ Williams and Actor/Director Paul Gross will be acting as Honorary Team Captains at various locations along the run.
Memorial Baton Relay Route
- Kick-off in Edmonton, AB: August 10-11, 2014;
- Wainwright, AB: August 13-14, 2014;
- Calgary, AB: August 15-16, 2014;
- Suffield, AB: August 17, 2014;
- Medicine Hat, AB: August 18, 2014;
- Regina, SK: August 20-22, 2014;
- Moosomin, SK: August 23, 2014;
- Shilo, MB: August 24, 2014;
- Brandon, MB: August 25, 2014;
- Winnipeg, MB: August 28-30, 2014;
- Thunder Bay, ON: August 31, 2014;
- Elk Lake, ON: September 1, 2014;
- Espanola, ON: September 2, 2014;
- London, ON: September 4, 2014;
- Toronto, ON: September 5-6, 2014;
- Port Credit, ON: September 7, 2014;
- Brantford, ON: September 8, 2014;
- Brampton, ON: September 9, 2014;
- Highway of Heroes, ON: September 10, 2014;
- Trenton, ON: September 10-11, 2014;
- Kingston, ON: September 12-13, 2014;
- Mont-Saint-Hilaire, QC: September 15, 2014;
- Montreal, QC: September 16, 2014; and
- Ending in Ottawa, ON: September 18, 2014.
“The Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry have always done the Canadian Army proud. From Frezenberg to Leonforte, and from Kapyong, to the Balkans, and Afghanistan, PPCLI soldiers have battled with tremendous tenacity, courage, and passion. Reflecting on the century of history, let us take time to salute the sacrifices made by PPCLI soldiers and the unwavering support of their families. You are Strong, Proud, and Ready for another century of success!” ~ Lieutenant-General Marquis Hainse, Commander Canadian Army
“The Memorial Baton Relay is a historic event to mark a century of Regimental service to Canada and to honour 1,866 PPCLI soldiers who have fallen on active service. Current soldiers of the Regiment are privileged to retrace the symbolic journey taken by the PPCLI Originals in 1914 on the eve of the First World War, celebrating our history and strengthening our relationships with the Canadian public whom we serve.” ~ Lieutenant-Colonel Bob Ritchie, Commanding Officer, 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry