“The Our High River Volunteer App is an innovative citizen engagement tool that we will use to connect volunteers to available opportunities in High River,” says Jody Seeley, community engagement orchestrator with Our High River. “It is a volunteer matching app, so citizens can fill out a volunteer profile of their interests and agencies can post their opportunities, then the app can match people to volunteer positions.”
Seeley explains that there will be an additional opportunity to use the app as an emergency management tool to build a database of potential volunteers that can be called to action during emergencies.
“There was an initial soft launch of the app in 2016 after we received federal government funding and the idea was to primarily use it as an emergency management volunteer tool,” says Seeley. “But we realized the potential of the app and wanted to develop it further so we could use it every day for community engagement opportunities as well.”
The app, as well as Our High River’s new website, was developed in partnership with Rally Engine. Potential volunteers and agency representatives can download the free Our High River App on Google Play or the App Store. The activation code is: our high river
National Volunteer Week will also be celebrated in the following ways:
- April 15 to 21 will be proclaimed as National Volunteer Week in High River.
- A special flag celebrating volunteers will be flown at the Town Office during the week.
- A free Volunteer Appreciation Event will be held on Tuesday, Apr. 17 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the Highwood Golf Course.
- A Community Café will be held on April 11 from 5-8 p.m. at Carlson’s on Macleod – celebrating National Volunteer Week.
- Nominations for Volunteers of the Year in five categories were accepted throughout March and April the below winners will be officially recognized at the Volunteer Appreciation Event on April 17. RSVP via eventbrite here
Senior – Hank Leeferink
Adult – Scott Forbes
Group – Kraft Hockeyville Committee
– Corporate – Western Financial Group
– Small Business (Local) – Coco Lux (Sue Mueller)
Youth – Tate Barton
All volunteers, nominees and winners are invited to attend the Volunteer Appreciation Event on April 17. RSVP via eventbrite here. Drinks and hors d ’Oeuvres will be provided.
Citizens or agencies who need help with the app or would like assistance with connecting to opportunities can contact Jody Seeley at 403-603-3547 or email@example.com.