September 11, 2014 – Colorado Springs, Colorado Department of National Defence
The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls, Minister of National Defence today marked the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States by attending a commemoration at NORAD headquarters in Colorado Springs, CO.
Addressing the approximately 700 attendees and U.S. defence officials, Minister Nicholson highlighted the unique and enduring nature of the Canada-US defence relationship in times of both peace and international turmoil. Other speakers included Robert Work, Deputy US Secretary of Defence, and Melodie Homer, widow of one of the pilots of the United Airlines aircraft hijacked by terrorists during the attacks. The ceremony concluded with a wreath laying in commemoration of the victims.
- Since 9/11, the changes in perceived threats and the rise in terrorism have led to an even greater emphasis within DND/CAF on the security and sovereignty of our nation.
- The United States is Canada’s most important ally and defence partner. Defence and security relations between our two countries are longstanding, well-entrenched and highly successful.
- The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) is a binational military command formally established in 1958 by Canada and the United States to monitor and defend North American airspace. In 2006, a maritime warning mission was added.
- Following the 2001 attacks, NORAD implemented significant improvements to its missions and resources to respond to a broadened range of threats.
- Canadian Joint Operations Command (CJOC), NORAD and USNORTHCOM share the task of defending North America. They work as partners, consistent with national interests and sovereignty, to defend and secure each nation.
“It is incredibly moving to be at the Cheyenne Mountain facility to mark the 13th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks against the United States, in which 24 Canadians also died. As we pause to remember the innocent men and women who died in the attacks, we also pledge to continue our work to reinforce our joint defence of the continent so that we may never see such terrible evil brought upon our citizens again.” – Honourable Rob Nicholson, PC, QC, MP for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence
(Minister of National Defence)