Over 1.6 billion Muslims across the world, including 8 million in North America and over 150,000 in Alberta, celebrated Eid al-Adha, the Feast of Sacrifice, at the culmination of the hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca.
“The Legislative Assembly of Alberta has honoured the festival of Eid al-Adha for over 15 years,” said the Hon. Robert E. Wanner, Speaker of the Assembly. “I believe this tradition needs to be continued in order for us to learn more about the Muslim communities in Alberta and the sacred traditions of Islam. This event is one more example of the diverse strength of our province.”
Recognition of Eid al-Adha Hosted by Honourable Robert E. Wanner
Tuesday, November 3, at 6 p.m.
Remarks will be brought by:
- Honourable Rachel Notley, MLA, Premier of Alberta
- Honourable Irfan Sabir, MLA, Minister of Human Services
- Mr. Brian Jean, MLA, Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition
- Mr. Ric McIver, MLA, Leader of the PC Opposition
- Dr. David Swann, MLA, Leader of the Liberal Opposition
- Mr. Greg Clark, MLA, Leader of the Alberta Party Opposition
The program will include a recitation and translation from the Holy Qur’an as well as a charitable presentation to Edmonton’s Food Bank.
Eid al-Adha was celebrated globally in late September. The observance in the Alberta Legislature recognizes the importance of this annual tradition and the long-standing friendship between the province’s Muslim communities and the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.