Mountain stage a first for the world-renowned cycling race
Parks Canada, in collaboration with the Jasper Partnership Initiative, will co-host a portion of this international sporting event that will feature a mountain section for the first time, providing thousands of race-goers and millions of spectators around the world with an exhilarating mountain top conclusion.
Through initiatives like these, Parks Canada is supporting Canada’s National Conservation Plan by taking concrete action to connect Canadians to nature. In addition, the ongoing work of Parks Canada and programs – like the Xplorers program, Learn-to Camp and special events and exciting new activities and programs across the country – are enhancing visitor experience and facilitating personal connections with Parks Canada places.
• Cycling has grown dramatically over the past few years, there are now twice as many bikes in the world as cars.
• The Tour of Alberta mountain leg will help promote cycling opportunities in Jasper National Park and encourage visitors from around the world to experience Canada’s mountain national parks.
• Jasper National Park is renowned for having the largest, connected multi-use trail system in the country. Easily accessible from the community, this system offers a great way to connect with nature year-round.
• The Tour of Alberta will create awareness of Jasper National Park and Parks Canada, and encourage cycling and mountain biking and a connection to nature.
• This world class event is broadcast in 162 countries and viewed by over 40 million people.
“Our Government is pleased to welcome the Tour of Alberta to Jasper National Park as the first ever mountain stage of this exhilarating event. We look forward to welcoming participants and spectators to experience and connect with this incredible mountain national park during this exciting international event.”
~ Jim Eglinski, Member of Parliament for Yellowhead
“The Tour of Alberta is entering its third year and for two years cycling fans from around the world have been asking where the mountain stage is. We are thrilled that 2015 is the year fans and over 45 million international broadcast spectators will be able to experience some of Alberta’s most beautiful landscapes as the world’s best cyclists race through the Town of Jasper and Jasper National Park towards a thrilling mountain top finish.”
~ Duane Vienneau, Executive Director, Tour of Alberta
“The Municipality of Jasper is thrilled to host the first ever Rocky Mountain Stage of the Tour of Alberta. Biking is immensely popular internationally as an exciting sport and as a healthy, active transportation alternative with low environmental impact. It is so exciting and so fitting to have such a high calibre and high-profile event showcased in Jasper’s majestic, natural venue. We are proud to be a world-renowned vacation destination which welcomes over two million visitors per year and are looking forward to the international exposure that this world class event will bring to Jasper and Jasper National Park for years to come.”
~ Richard Ireland, Mayor, Municipality of Jasper.
“The Tour of Alberta will showcase the awe-inspiring wilderness and boundless beauty of Jasper National Park, the largest national park in the Canadian Rockies and designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. This exceptional event encourages all to push further in pursuit of greatness while also highlighting the various healthy impact outdoor activities available to any traveller seeking a Jasper adventure. We are looking forward to welcoming the participants and spectators in September.”
~ Mary Darling, CEO, Tourism Jasper
• Jasper National Park Points of Interest (www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/explore-interets.aspx)
• Jasper National Park Mountain Biking Guide (www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/ete-summer/velo-bike.aspx)
• Tour of Alberta website (tourofalberta.ca)
• Tourism Jasper website (www.jasper.travel/)