Search for new director to begin immediately
President Elizabeth Cannon today announced the appointment of Jack Mintz as President’s Fellow at The School of Public Policy at the University of Calgary. The appointment recognizes Mintz as one of Canada’s most distinguished and influential academics in public policy. In this new role, Mintz will undertake research, build capacity, and provide leadership specifically in tax, financial regulatory, and urban policy programs.
“Jack Mintz’s record of success in building The School of Public Policy is simply remarkable,” said Cannon. “Under his leadership, the school has become a prominent academic think tank for public policy research and education, both in Canada and internationally. I am delighted to appoint him as President’s Fellow. His willingness to continue to share his drive and talent is good news not only for the University of Calgary, but for Canada.”
In order to focus on research, continue to provide leadership in key areas, and recruit top talent from around the world to create a centre of excellence in areas of critical importance to Canada’s future, Mintz will step down from the directorship of The School of Public Policy on June 30, 2015. He will continue his work through earned administrative leave and then assume his new role on July 1, 2016.
“I am very proud of what we have achieved at The School of Public Policy,” said Mintz, who became director of the school in 2008. “In less than seven years, we’ve gone from an idea, to the flagship school of its kind in Canada with a strong academic program and research-oriented think tank. The school has attracted the best minds from across Canada as faculty and fellows to study public policy issues crucial to Canada’s development. But it is no secret that my first love is research in public policy. That is why I am grateful for the support of the University of Calgary to allow me to make that work my principal focus. I look forward to helping make this research portfolio the best of its kind.”
The search for a new director will begin immediately. The search committee will be chaired by President Cannon.
Quick facts on The School of Public Policy
- Over 80 faculty, fellows, research associates and staff
- 68 events around the world in the past year (November-October)
- More media recognition that any other policy school in Canada
- Published 43 research papers in the past year
Quick facts on Jack Mintz
- Past Clifford Clark Visiting Economist at Finance Canada and Chair of the Technical Committee on Business Taxation that led to fundamental business tax reform in Canada.
- Currently, member of the federal Economic Advisory Council (since December 2008), federal Panel on HealthInnovations, and Chair of Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
- Has published in his career more than 275 books and articles.
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee recipient from Canadian Tax Foundation for contribution to tax policy.