There are many things you can do on your own to reduce stress and improve your overall health. However, some of the symptoms of stress are very similar to those of depression. Depression is a common disorder that is related to a chemical imbalance in the brain. Fortunately, depression can be treated safely and effectively. It’s important to recognize the signs so that you can get treatment.
Signs of depression:
- feeling “sad” or “blue”
- losing interest or pleasure in things you used to enjoy
- sleeping too much or too little
- having less energy
- “slowing down” of mental or physical activity
- gaining or losing weight
- experiencing changes in your appetite
- feeling anxious or agitated
- having trouble concentrating, being indecisive, or having memory loss
- feeling guilty or worthless
- having thoughts of death or suicide
Because some signs of depression are similar to those that occur with stress, having some of these signs does not necessarily mean that you have depression. Still, if you have had some of these symptoms, speak to your health care professional. Depression can be effectively treated, and this can go a long way toward helping you reduce stress and feel better.
All material © 1996-2015 MediResource Inc. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.