The only thing better than a homemade meal is a homegrown meal – and creating fresh and delicious salads using vegetables, fruits, and herbs grown in your own backyard is about as fresh as it gets when it comes to summer dining.
“Self-contained salad bowls are a great way to start growing your own produce,” says Peter Cantley, gardening expert for the President’s Choice brand. “They’re very low maintenance because they grow right in the container so there’s no need to replant them or worry about them having enough room to grow.”
If you’ve never tasted kale raw in a salad, try this recipe, says Cantley, using the PC Kale Bowl. The fruit-and-nut combo is perfect for summer while the balsamic condiment, pine nuts and pecorino give it a wonderful Italian flavour. The recipe easily doubles for a crowd, perfect for your next backyard barbecue.
Fresh and Crispy Kale Salad
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) PC Splendido White Condiment With Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
• 1 tsp (5 ml) 100% pure medium maple syrup
• Pinch of salt
• Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
• 1 bunch kale, coarse stems removed
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) pine nuts, toasted
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) dried currants
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) grated lemon rind
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) shaved Pecorino cheese
1. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, condiment, syrup, salt and pepper.
2. Slice kale into ½-inch (1 cm) wide strips; place in medium bowl. Add dressing; massage into kale leaves until well coated. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Add pine nuts and currants, tossing to coat. Garnish with grated lemon rind and Pecorino shavings.
More recipe ideas are available online at pc.ca.