Ottawa, Ontario – Omar Alghabra, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs (Consular Affairs), today gave advice to Canadians travelling to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, which will take place from August 5 to 21 and from September 7 to 18, 2016, respectively.
In order to stay informed, Canadians travelling to the Games should observe the “3 Rs” of international travel:
- Read up on relevant topics, such as travel insurance and safety, security and local laws in Brazil, by consulting Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories for Brazil web page.
- Register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service so that government officials can contact and assist those in need of emergency assistance or notify them of an emergency at home. Registration is quick, confidential and simple.
- Reach – Before you go, find the location and contact information for the Canadian embassy or consulate closest to your travel destination. Canadians who experience problems abroad can call the Consulate General of Canada in Rio at 55 (21) 2543-3004 or the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa toll free from Brazil at 0800-891-6614 or +1 613-996-8885 (collect calls are accepted, where available). An email can also be sent to email@example.com
For information on the Zika virus, Canadians should visit the Zika virus web page and read the recommended precautionary measures.
It is also recommended that Canadians pack the Travel Smart app and carry contact information for the Embassy of Canada to Brazil and the Canadian consulate and consulates general in Brazil.
Canadians travelling to Rio to cheer on Team Canada should ensure that they are prepared and informed well in advance. Travellers should also purchase comprehensive travel health insurance coverage for a term longer than their trip and consult our web page on Travel Advice and Advisories for Brazil. Consular officials will be available before, during and after the Games to deliver the top-quality consular services that Canadians expect, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Go Team Canada!”
– Omar Alghabra, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Brazil
- Travel insurance
- Travel advice and advisories for Brazil
- Registration of Canadians Abroad
- Request emergency assistance
- Zika virus page
- Travel Smart app
- Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaFP and @TravelGoC
- Like us on Facebook: Canada’s foreign policy – Global Affairs Canada