Fire Prevention Week: Safety Tips for the Home


  • Avoid loose long sleeves when cooking.

  • Check kettles and toasters for damaged electrical cords and thermostats.

  • Use appliances that have an automatic shut-off.

  • Keep a timer handy to remind you when the oven and burners should be switched off.

  • If you take medication that causes drowsiness, do not use cooking appliances.

  • Use a temperature-controlled electric skillet or deep-fryer for frying.

  • Never leave your cooking unattended.

  • Use appropriate cooking appliances and keep them clean.

  • Keep a pot cover nearby to “put a lid on it” in the event of a fire.


  • Fireplace: always use a fire screen, ensuring it is the appropriate size for the fireplace opening.

  • Power bars should not be used to overload electrical outlets. Do not use extension cords in the place of

additional outlets.

  • Smokers should check furniture for fallen cigarettes or embers, which can smoulder undetected for hour

before bursting into flames.

  • Ensure careful use of smoking materials and extinguish in water before disposal.

  • Never leave cigarettes in an ashtray unattended.

  • Use ashtrays with a double rim and deep centre.

  • Keep matches, lighters and lit candles out of the reach of children.

  • Never leave lit candles unattended.


  • Install at least one smoke alarm outside each sleeping area. For improved safety, install a smoke alarm in

every bedroom.

  • Check electrical appliances regularly in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions: electric blankets, heating pads, curling irons, radios, televisions,


  • Bedrooms should be non-smoking areas.


  • Remove all combustible and flammable materials from the basement and attic.

  • Do not store gasoline in basements or attics! Store gasoline in well-ventilated areas, preferably outdoors.

  • Do not store propane indoors.

  • Use only approved containers to store and transport gasoline.

  • Have a thorough yearly maintenance check of the furnace carried out by a professional.

  • When replacing an old furnace, consult a professional to determine the most safe, economical and efficient

system for your home.

  • Chimneys should be cleaned at least once a year.


  • Flammable materials – thinners, gasoline, paints, industrial cleaners – should be stored neatly in approved

containers and away from possible ignitable sources.

  • Do not smoke, or leave matches or lighters in the garage or workshop.

  • Install and know how to properly use the appropriate fire extinguisher for the garage/workshop.

  • Keep the area clean. Remove garbage, paper products, oily rags and wool

(Source: Fire Prevention Canada)