Do I Need A Premises Identification Account and Number?

This article is courtesy of the Horse Industry Association of Alberta

Alberta horse owners and operators of stables are being reminded of the requirement to register for Premises Identification (PID) and the importance of obtaining a PID Number.  Registering is free, simple and helps protect your horse(s) in the event of an emergency such as a natural disaster or disease outbreak.

Premises Identification (PID), one of the pillars of traceability, links livestock (including horses) and poultry to land locations or premises. Alberta’s PID Program was established to plan for, control, and prevent the spread of agricultural diseases. It is also used as an early warning system to notify animal owners of a natural disaster such as a flood or fire that could affect their animals or operations. Regulations requiring premises identification became law January 1, 2009 as part of the Animal Health Act.

Who Must Apply for PID Account?

Horse Owners

If at any time during the year, your horse(s) is under your care and control at your farm or acreage, you must apply for a PID Account and obtain a PID Number for the land location where the horse(s) is located.
If your horse(s) is only ever kept a commingling site (e.g. stable), you are not required to register for a PID Account.  However, you will need to obtain the PID Number from the operator of the site.

Stable Operators

As an operator of a commingling site, you must apply for a PID Account and obtain a PID Number for each land location you operate a stable on.  You must also provide the PID Number of the stable location to the horse owners who board there animal there.

All horse owners will need to have a PID Number to:

  • buy medication for your horse(s) and/or animal(s) at retail outlets (this requirement took effect on July 1, 2014 as part of amendments to the Animal Health Act);
  • complete movement documents such as manifests and permits when transporting your horse(s) for sale or outside of the province; and
  • apply for many government sponsored agriculture grants and programs.

For more information on the PID Program, call the Alberta Ag-Info Centre at 310 –FARM (3276) or visit Alberta Agriculture’s website to register online or download the application forms.

Traceability Protects! Your Animals – Your Livelihood – Our Future