On October 28, 2015, the Legislative Assembly of Alberta will mark its third annual Diwali celebration, an occasion that has come to be known world-wide as the festival of lights.
“A wonderful characteristic of light is that it has a way of drawing us together,” said Speaker Wanner. “For Hindus and many cultures around the world the festival of lights is an opportunity to meld hearts and minds toward a common purpose.”
Speaker Wanner will host a Diwali celebration in the Legislature Building rotunda on Wednesday, October 28, 2015, at 6 p.m.
Remarks will be delivered by:
- Honourable Rachel Notley, MLA, Premier of Alberta
- Mr. Brian Jean, MLA, Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition
- Mr. Ric McIver, MLA, Leader of the Progressive Conservative Opposition
- Dr. David Swann, MLA, Leader of the Liberal Opposition
- Mr. Greg Clark, MLA, Leader of the Alberta Party Opposition
- Mr. Manmeet Bhullar, MLA, Calgary-Greenway
- Mr. Naresh Bhardwaj, Former Member of the Legislative Assembly
The event will feature a candle-lighting ceremony as well as dance performances from South Asian Arts Movement (SAAM) and the IRA Academy for Dance and Music.
Following the event food will be distributed outside the front doors of the Legislature Building.