Christmas Tree Pickup will begin on January 7 & 8 along with regular garbage collection.
Place you fully undecorated Christmas tree behind your garbage bin and Town crews will take them to the waste transfer station for composting.
Christmas Trees are accepted at the residential yard waste drop off centre which is located at Operational Services at 640 7 Street N.W.
Every year the Town collects and chips hundreds of Christmas trees to keep them out of the landfill. To ensure your tree gets chipped, watch for set-out and chipping dates to be announced in mid-December each year.
Here are a few important rules to follow to ensure your tree gets collected:
- Place your tree out at your regular collection area no later than the announce cut-off date.
- Lay tree on its side.
- Trees in bags, or with ornaments, tinsel, wires, or plastic etc. will not be picked up or accepted at the chipping site.
- Small treees can be cut up and placed in the green organics cart.
- Town crews go from neighbourhood to neighbourhood and may not be in your area on the same day as your waste collection day. That’s why it’s important to have your tree out by the cut-off date.
- Real/cut pine boughs, wreaths etc. should be placed in your green organics carts IF all decorative items (bows, wires, plastic baubles etc.) have been removed. If wreaths are wrapped around metal wiring or frames they must be deconstructed to separate tree pieces from metals and plastics. If that can’t be done, the wreaths must go in your garbage cart.
Trees not placed out by the cut-off date can be self-hauled to the north-east corner parking lot of the Operations Centre 100-1118 North Railway Street.