Add just the right amount of country charm to your Thanksgiving with these decadent dark chocolate cakes served in Mason jars. They taste just as good as they look, and can also be offered as festive gifts for your family and friends.
Dark Chocolate Mint Mason Jar Cakes
12 half pint, wide mouth Mason jars
2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, for greasing Mason jars
1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup (170 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
¾ tsp (4 ml) baking powder
¼ tsp (1 ml) sea salt
½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (250 ml) Billy Bee honey
2 large eggs
1 ½ tsps (7 ml) Club House Pure Peppermint & Mint Extract
½ cup (125 ml) plain yogurt
1 can, Cake Mate White Buttercream Cupcake Icing
1 Cake Mate Décors
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease Mason jars with 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
2. In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl or mixer, cream ½ cup (125 ml) butter and honey together until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time until smooth, then stir in mint extract.
3. Fold half of the flour mixture in until just combined (do not over mix). Fold in yogurt until combined, then fold in remaining flour. Divide batter evenly into prepared Mason jars, filling each just over halfway full. To make filling easy, use a piping bag.
4. Place Mason jars into a roasting pan and fill with hot water, up to 1 ½-in (4 cm) below the top of the pan.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Using oven mitts or a towel, carefully remove Mason jars from pan and allow to cool completely.
6. Fill Mason jars with icing and decorate as desired with Cake Mate Décors, up to 12 hours in advance of serving. To store, ice cakes and seal with lids for up to 48 hours in refrigerator.