The Government of Canada announced, earlier this month, that Canada and the United States (U.S.) are delivering on key Beyond the Border Action Plan commitments related to joint Trusted Traveller and Trusted Trader programs, including the official opening of the eGate pilot project that allows NEXUS members extended expedited passage at the Peace Bridge port of entry in Fort Erie, Ontario.
In addition, trusted traders importing goods into Canada can now apply for additional benefits to help them save time and money. Customs Self Assessment – Platinum (CSA-Platinum) is available to CSA importers who voluntarily demonstrate that their business systems, internal controls and self-testing processes are effective and reliable at ensuring trade compliance. In addition, non-resident importers in the U.S. will now be eligible to apply to the CSA importer program. Previously, only importers residing in Canada or, in the case of corporations who had their head office in Canada or operated a branch office in Canada, were eligible to participate in the CSA program.
The CBSA has also launched a new online Trusted Trader Portal that allows companies to apply for membership in the Partners in Protection (PIP) program, and allows existing members to maintain their Trusted Trader membership. The Portal will serve as the foundation for future phases of Trusted Trader enhancements, including the streamlined exchange of program information between the Trusted Trader and the U.S. Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) portals.
- The NEXUS fee is $50 (CAN or USD) and is valid for five years.
- There are more than one million NEXUS members.
- NEXUS members are eligible for expedited travel across the Canada-U.S. border at eight international airports in Canada, 19 land ports of entry and approximately 430 marine locations.
- Members also benefit from expedited security screening lines in pre-clearance areas at major Canadian airports and dedicated lines at over 100 participating U.S. airports for domestic, trans-border and select international flights.
- The CSA program offers low-risk, pre-approved companies streamlined clearance of eligible goods when using a CSA authorized importer, a CSA authorized carrier and an approved commercial driver.
- The new CSA-Platinum benefit aims to assist CSA importers attain the highest rate of compliance with the CBSA’s trade programs since importers will be directly responsible for verification and testing of their trade program compliance. By doing so, Platinum members are subject to reduced trade compliance verifications by the CBSA, allowing the Agency to invest resources in areas of higher or unknown risk.
- Currently, there are 95 members in the CSA importer program that account for $89.3 billion in annual trade.
Trusted Trader Portal
- The CBSA launched the Trusted Trader Portal on June 15, 2014, to provide secure and efficient online services to accredited members of the trade community.
- The Trusted Trader Portal will allow eligible companies to submit online applications for membership in PIP and obtain timely updates on the progress of their application.
- It will allow existing PIP members to maintain their Trusted Trader membership online.
“These innovative initiatives are important examples of the continued enhancements being made to these successful Trusted Traveller and Trusted Trader programs. They highlight our binational commitment to initiatives outlined in the Beyond the Border Action Plan. I am confident that these steps will keep travel and trade moving efficiently and securely between Canada and the United States.” ~ The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
“The eGate pilot project and enhancements to Trusted Trader programs are an important step for businesses and individuals in our community, and on both sides of the border. We are supporting our local economy and facilitating trade in Niagara Falls, as well as across Canada. These improvements further enhance our trade relationship with our U.S. neighbours and highlight our shared commitment to a strong and effective border.” ~ The Honourable Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence and MP for Niagara Falls, ON
“Our continued success in achieving Beyond the Border milestones illustrates our commitment to a strong partnership between the United States and Canada.The harmonization of trusted trader and traveller programs benefits those crossing the border as well as the economic security of both countries.” ~ R. Gil Kerlikowske, Commissioner, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
“There is no doubt that NEXUS improves the flow of legitimate travel and trade across the shared Canada–U.S. border. As one of the busiest land border crossings, we are happy to be holding this pilot project at Peace Bridge which provides NEXUS members with 24/7 access to a dedicated lane.” ~ Sam Hoyt, Chairman of the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority
“From the beginning, the Canadian Council of Chief Executives has strongly supported the Beyond the Border initiative because of its potential to streamline cross-border commerce and improve Canadian and U.S. competitiveness. The innovative, practical measures announced today will make a tangible difference to workers and companies on both sides of the border. The eGate pilot project at the Peace Bridge offers an excellent example of the ways in which technology can make border crossings faster and easier while enhancing security. Meanwhile, improvements to the Customs Self-Assessment program will enable more Canadian firms to take advantage of the opportunities presented by global supply chains.” ~ The Honourable John Manley, President and CEO of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives