OTTAWA, June 15, 2020
Today, the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Canadian Heritage, unveiled the program for Canada Day. On July 1, Canadians from coast to coast to coast are invited to take part in an array of virtual celebrations to express our national pride.
This year more than ever, Canada Day is an important national celebration bringing Canadians together, even if it is done virtually.
It’s also time to commemorate some key events in our history, as this year marks the 40th anniversary of the official adoption of our national anthem, “O Canada,” and the essential role the Métis Nation played in Manitoba joining Confederation 150 years ago.
An exciting and engaging lineup
The roster of activities draws on what makes Canada strong: its diverse cultures, athletic and artistic excellence, Indigenous languages and cultures, and our spirit of innovation. Wherever you are, join in.
A virtual Celebration Kit is now available with interactive, creative and educational activities the whole family can enjoy. Check out the activity packs on the Canada Day website and share your experience with the hashtag #CanadaDay.
Canada, let’s get together!
Now and in the coming weeks, answer the call on social media from renowned Canadians like Chef Ricardo, travel blogger Gunnarolla, former football player Étienne Boulay and athletes from all over the country including figure skater Kaetlyn Osmond, sitting volleyball player Jennifer Oakes and former football player Shea Emery.
Short videos will be available on the Canada Day website on June 29, so you can experience these inspiring, moving and captivating moments with Canadians from across the country:
- Let’s Cook Together! — A unifying and colourful culinary challenge.
- Let’s Get Active Together! — A fun sporting challenge. Presented by GoodLife Fitness.
- Let’s Innovate Together! — Canadian ingenuity at its best.
- Let’s Discover Together! — Hidden treasures of digital Canada. Presented by Rogers.
- Let’s Celebrate Together! — A celebration worthy of our country. Presented by Tim Hortons.
July 1 across the country and around the world
Many of the country’s cities and communities have virtual celebrations. Canada’s embassies, consulates and high commissions are also presenting activities worldwide. To find out more, check out the Canada Day website.
From 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. local time (2 p.m. Atlantic time) watch Canada Day Across the Country on CBC and Radio-Canada as well as on CPAC and Canadian Heritage’s digital platforms at 1 p.m. (ET).
The Canada Day Daytime Show brings you a virtual tour of the festivities. Join Serena Ryder and Pierre-Yves Lord on a trip to meet talented artists from Yellowknife, Calgary, Winnipeg, Sudbury, Montréal, Québec City and Moncton.
Celebrate cultural diversity, sport excellence and Indigenous languages and cultures, and honour the hard work of our frontline responders. There is also a salute to the 40th anniversary of “O Canada” as our official national anthem, as well as lots of surprises.
- Paul Brandt
- Marc Hervieux
- Julie Nesrallah
- National Arts Centre Orchestra
- Laurence Nerbonne and Sarahmée
- Leela Gilday
- Atlantic Ballet of Canada
- Sierra Noble, Faouzia, Kelly Bado, Olivia Lunny, JP Hoe and Jason Burnstick
- Patricia Cano
From 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. local time (9 p.m. Atlantic time), watch the evening show Canada Day Together on CBC and Radio-Canada as well as on Canadian Heritage’s digital platforms at 8 p.m. (ET).
Hosts Serena Ryder and Pierre-Yves Lord bring you original artistic collaborations from all over the country with stops in Halifax, Toronto and Vancouver. It’s going to be quite a show!
The night will conclude with highlights of the best Canada Day fireworks from previous years.
- Alanis Morissette
- Avril Lavigne
- Sarah McLachlan
- Shane Koyczan
- Charlotte Cardin
- Roxane Bruneau
- Alan Doyle
- The Sheepdogs
- Alexandra Stréliski
- Joel Plaskett
- Ria Mae
- Alex Nevsky
- Radio Radio and Damien Robitaille
- Haviah Mighty
- The Jerry Cans
- Natasha Kanapé Fontaine
- Guillaume Côté, The National Ballet of Canada
- Vanesa Garcia-Ribala Montoya, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens
- Alanna McAdie, Royal Winnipeg Ballet
Listen to the official Canada Day channel, Canada: Together in Music, on the Stingray platform, which brings together talented Canadian artists participating in the Canada Day national shows.
Through the magic of technology, we’re bringing you a virtual fireworks show on the evening of July 1. Presented by Tim Hortons, a Web app will let you enjoy a new and memorable experience. Details will be announced soon.
Alberta / Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Follow us on social media
You can join the conversation on our social media platforms anytime, but especially on July 1. Be the first to know the latest on Canada Day festivities and take part in the great activities.
Like and share with the hashtag #CanadaDay on your feeds.
“This year isn’t like other years. But even these challenging times are a good opportunity to think about what it means to be Canadian. I’m inviting you, whoever and wherever you are, to take part in all the great activities we have planned. Today Canada’s history—our values, our talents and our creativity—are on display for the whole world. Today is our day. Happy Canada Day!”
—The Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Canadian Heritage
- July 1, 2020, is the 153rd anniversary of Confederation.
- Canadians from coast to coast to coast are invited to take part in an array of virtual festivities and express our pride as Canadians.
- It is the 40th anniversary of the official adoption of our national anthem, “O Canada,” and we will salute the key role of the Métis Nation in bringing Manitoba into Confederation 150 years ago.
- The main hashtag is #CanadaDay.
- Secondary hashtags are #CookingTogether, #ActiveTogether, #InnovatingTogether, #DiscoveringTogether, #CelebratingTogether, #CanadaDay2020 and #virtualCanadaDay.
- Canadian Heritage would like to thank:
- Tim Hortons, official sponsor of Canada Day 2020 and of the virtual Canada Day 2020 fireworks, and presenting sponsor of the Let’s Celebrate Together! video capsule.
- Rogers, official sponsor of Canada Day 2020 and presenting sponsor of the Let’s Discover Together! video capsule.
- GoodLife Fitness, presenting sponsor of the Let’s Get Active Together! video capsule.