The province is launching a charitable giving matching donation program to increase support to charities responding to COVID-19.
Starting April 15, the Alberta government will match, dollar-for dollar, donations up to $2 million to Alberta-based charities and non-profit organizations with COVID-19 fundraising campaigns. Organizations will be waiving any administration fees associated with campaign donations.
“Alberta’s charities and non-profits and the gift of those who donate is an integral part of what makes us Albertan. These incredible organizations are struggling to fill gaps created by the increased and changing demand for services created by the COVID-19 pandemic. By matching donations, we will amplify the generosity of Albertans and boost the capacity of community organizations working tirelessly to make sure vulnerable Albertans are cared for during the pandemic.”
Leela Sharon Aheer, Minister of Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women
“Albertans have always been very generous in times of crisis. Our province has been hit hard by the pandemic, and we are once again calling on Albertans to donate what their finances allow. Every donation will help in some way so charities can continue to feed the hungry, care for seniors, support children and battle homelessness amid COVID-19.”
Jeremy Nixon, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Community and Social Services
Several organizations have already established COVID-19 fundraising campaigns to distribute money quickly to those who need it most. Albertans who donate to these designated organizations by May 31 will have their donations matched by the province. Organizations include:
- United Way of the Capital Region – Local Love in a Global Crisis Campaign
- United Way Calgary and Area – COVID-19 Community Response Fund
- Calgary Foundation – COVID-19 Pandemic Recovery Program
- Edmonton Community Foundation – COVID Rapid Response Fund
- Community Foundation of Southeastern Alberta – COVID Response for Southeast Alberta
- Community Foundation of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta – COVID Response and Recovery Grants Program
- Community Foundation of Northwestern Alberta – Better Together COVID-19 Response Fund/Community Kitchen and Food Bank Fund
COVID-19 pandemic response programs play a supporting role to flow donations through to local community-based non-profits and charitable organizations that deliver services to Albertans who need it most. Donations will help feed the hungry, care for seniors, support at-risk children, and keep Albertans employed.