Get Involved: Project Open Houses and Online Survey
Tell us what you think!
Residents are invited to provide input on travel needs and potential transportation solutions at open houses to be held March 13-14, 2019 (see below for locations and times) or by taking the online survey.
Through the events and survey, participants can share information about their current travel patterns and transportation needs. They can also provide feedback on draft preliminary transportation service ideas developed by the project team based on community input so far.
|Black Diamond and Turner Valley Transit Strategy Open Houses|
|Wednesday, March 13||9:30am – 11:30am||Sheep River Library||129 Main Street N.E., Turner Valley|
|3:30pm – 5:30pm||AG Foods||402 Centre Ave W, Black Diamond|
|6:00pm – 8:00pm||Sheep River Library||129 Main Street N.E., Turner Valley|
|Thursday, March 14||9:00am – 11:00am||Griffiths Centre||122 Government Road, Black Diamond
Project staff will be available at the open houses to take project feedback in person and you can also view the information boards.
The online survey will be available until March 19, 2019. Paper copies of the survey will also be made available at both Town offices. An event is also planned to gather feedback from Oilfields High School students.
Input collected through the open houses and survey will be added to what has already been heard from community stakeholders, including information gathered at a previous Stakeholder Workshop held in support of the project. Information collected will be used to refine options and recommendations for the Strategy. The final project report is due for completion in May 2019.
The Towns of Black Diamond and Turner Valley are undertaking the development of a Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy to explore opportunities to improve community mobility.
In particular, the Strategy will focus on potential solutions to meet the transportation needs of people with limited options, including youth, seniors, people with disabilities, and people with lower income. The two communities are identifying the feasibility of providing an improved transportation service within the Towns as well as to neighbouring communities.
The initiative is being funded in part by a grant from the GreenTRIP – Public Transit Infrastructure Fund. The project is being guided by a Steering Committee made up of Councillors, staff and residents of both Towns. The participating communities have hired Watt Consulting Group (i.e., the consultant team) to undertake the public transit planning and implementation strategy.
More About the Project: Objectives and Timeline
The overall objectives of the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Public Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy are to:
- Understand the need for public transit for residents of the two Towns, with a focus on youth, seniors, people with disabilities, and people with lower income.
- Summarize resident transportation needs and opportunities for each community and across the region.
- Determine how connections to key local and regional destinations can be delivered, coordinated and optimized as effectively as possible for these population groups and others who may have less access to transportation, as well as create viable transportation option to private automobiles.
- Develop and deliver a final transit plan report by May 2019 that describes potential service types, options and associated cost and performance projections to assist decision makers in moving forward on improved mobility where feasible.
- Provide an implementation strategy outlining the development of public transit, accompanied with recommendations on the supporting operational aspects required to make the public transit service sustainable, such as operating models, governance structures, fleet coordination, monitoring, marketing, fares and policies.
Project Phases and Timeline:
Have questions about the Black Diamond and Turner Valley Transit Planning and Implementation Strategy? Contact the project team:
- Email: BDTVTransitStrategy@wattconsultinggroup.com
- Phone: 403-273-9001, Ext. 434.
- Mail: Black Diamond Turner Valley Transit Strategy
Watt Consulting Group
310-3016 5 Avenue N.E.
Calgary, AB T2A 6K4