Bill 10, the Act to Amend the Alberta Bill of Rights to Protect our Children will provide students with a safer learning environment while respecting parental rights and the autonomy of school boards.
This legislation supports a zero-tolerance attitude towards bullying and discrimination based on sexual orientation or any other grounds. It also enshrines the right of parents to make informed decisions regarding the education of their children, and the responsibility of elected school boards.
“We are taking action to protect children while respecting the roles of parents and school boards. We are also making a clear and unambiguous commitment to equality for the LGBTQ community.”
~ Jim Prentice, Premier
Bill 10 will ensure students who wish to establish clubs that promote caring, respectful and safe learning environments, including gay-straight alliances, have clear recourse if their request is denied. Students and/or their parents will have the ability to appeal any such decisions to their elected school boards.
“This legislation ensures parents’ rights and core values are supported and sustained. At the same time, it makes a strong statement that bullying for any reason is unacceptable, and that our schools must be safe and respectful places for all students.”
~ Jonathan Denis, Minister of Justice and Solicitor General
Bill 10 proposes amendments to the Alberta Bill of Rights, the Alberta Human Rights Act, the School Act and the Education Act. The proposed legislation will:
- add sexual orientation to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination in the Alberta Bill of Rights;
- enshrine the rights of parents to make informed decisions respecting the education of their children in the Alberta Bill of Rights.
- repeal Section 11.1 of the Alberta Human Rights Act and address parental withdrawal of children from instruction on religion and human sexuality in the Education Act and the School Act;
- amend the School Act to include a definition of bullying; and
- amend the School Act to enhance the student code of conduct to support caring, respectful and safe learning environments where students refrain from bullying, report bullying, and are encouraged to contribute positively to the school and community.