The BC Coroners Service has confirmed the identity of five persons who died following the capsizing of a whale-watching boat west of Vancouver Island on Oct. 25, 2015.
- Katie Taylor, aged 29, a British national who lived in Whistler, B.C.
- Jack Slater, aged 76, a British national who lived in Toronto, Ontario.
- Nigel Francis Hooker, aged 63, of Southampton, England
- David Wyndham Thomas, aged 50, of Swindon, England
- Stephen David Thomas, aged 18, also of Swindon, son of David Wyndham Thomas
The five were all passengers aboard the whale-watching boat Leviathan II which was near Plover Reef off Vargas Island west of Tofino at about 3 p.m. on Oct. 25 when it capsized and eventually sank. All were deceased at the scene.
The BC Coroners Service, RCMP and the Transportation Safety Board are continuing to investigate these deaths.
The families of all five persons have been notified of their deaths. On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.