A new status report shows progress on Alberta’s plan to create more than 78,000 new student spaces, with more than 230 school projects underway or recently completed.
“Alberta faces major fiscal challenges but our commitment to core services has not changed. By extracting better value for the dollars we spend we are protecting priority infrastructure projects and building the schools Albertans need now.”
~ Manmeet S. Bhullar, Minister of Infrastructure
Since government’s last report in October, two more schools have been announced and progress has been made in all three phases.
School Project Status
Phase 1 included 35 new schools (announced in 2011)
- 30 are complete, two are under construction, two are occupied by students while minor work continues, and one is in planning.
Phase 2 includes 120 schools (announced in 2013-14)
- Since October 2014, all of the 120 schools have made steady progress through the building process.
- For example: one school opened in September 2014 and 38 schools are now in construction, compared to 15 in October.
- One is in planning; 54 are in design; and 26 are out to tender.
Phase 3 includes 77 schools (announced in October 2014)
- Two schools have been added to Phase 3, for a total of 77.
- Since then, 17 projects have moved from the planning stage to the design or tender stage.
The complete report can be found on the Alberta Infrastructure website.