The AK-47, which is banned in Canada, was seized from an apartment in the Panorama Hills area with two magazines containing a total of 48 rounds of ammunition. The fully automatic assault rifle was seized alongside $57,000 worth of cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin.
ALERT, an integrated team consisting of CPS, RCMP, and Alberta Sheriff members, made the seizure on March 22. Two search warrants were carried out at apartment suites in theKensington and Panorama Hills neighbourhoods. One person was arrested.
The total value of the drugs and cash seized exceeds $80,000 and included:
- 229 grams of cocaine;
- 35 grams of methamphetamine;
- 69 grams of heroin;
- 1,404 grams of Benzocaine cutting agent;
- $23,450 cash proceeds of crime;
- Packaging materials, digital scales, score sheets, and other drug trafficking paraphernalia.
The investigation began in early March after ALERT received information concerning suspected drug trafficking activity.
Norman Sunaryo, 25, of Calgary was arrested and charged with a total of 15 offences:
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking (x 3);
- Production of cocaine;
- Possession of proceeds of crime;
- Careless use of firearm;
- Unauthorized possession of firearm;
- Unauthorized possession of weapon (x 3);
- Possession of a weapon contrary to prohibition order (x 4);
- Possession of a prohibited weapon with ammunition.
The AK-47 will be submitted for forensic analysis and ballistics to determine if it was used in any crimes. ALERT will work with the RCMP’s National Weapons Enforcement Support Team (NWEST) in an attempt to determine the firearm’s origins.
Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Alberta Government and is a compilation of the province’s most sophisticated law enforcement resources committed to tackling serious and organized crime. Members of Alberta Sheriffs, Calgary Police Service, Edmonton Police Service, Lethbridge Police Service, Medicine Hat Police Service, and RCMP work in ALERT.