Summer is a time when many people get out and enjoy the longer days, warm sun and vacation time. However, for farm families, this time of year can be busy and stressful as they close in on harvest season and deal with harsh weather conditions, including drought and hail.
Stress can be overwhelming, but understanding what you can do to help reduce stress is important. Simple steps can make a big difference.
Here are some positive steps farm families can take to help reduce stress:
- Start by talking to someone you trust — your spouse, a family member or close friend.
- Get enough sleep.
- Find an exercise or activity that helps you relax.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Eliminate or reduce alcohol and/or drugs.
- Practice deep breathing, meditation, or muscle relaxation.
- Listen to music.
- Make and follow through with an action plan to help resolve your problems.
- Seek counselling if you continue to struggle.
For more information on stress and how to reduce it or how to get help, contact Health Link at 811 or visit www.myhealth.ab.ca.