During the holiday season, festive gatherings mean food, food and more food! Maintaining a balanced diet during this time of year can be a challenge. Here are some helpful tips to keep you on track.
· Since you will likely be busier than usual, have convenient healthy food available
· Buy washed cut up vegetables and fruit for easier choices at meals and snacks.
· Keep higher calorie food out of sight. This makes it less tempting to indulge.
· If there are leftovers from a meal, send them home with guests in decorative holiday containers, or package up for future meals.
· If you bake for the holidays ahead of time, freeze until serving.
At parties and gatherings:
· Bring a healthier option –grilled shrimp, chicken satay, cut up raw vegetables or a fruit tray.
· Socialize away from the food table.
· Choose lower calorie drinks like virgin Caesars, sugar-free pop or sparkling water.
· Use a smaller plate.
· Fill half your plate with vegetables and fruit.
· Focus on the food when eating and eat slowly.
Learn more healthy tips at Healthy Eating Starts Here http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/5602.asp.