It’s easy to make celebrations with children fun and healthy. Here are a few tips on how you can make healthy foods the easy choice at holiday celebrations, birthday parties and special events. For more ideas, go to healthyeatingstartshere.ca.
Try these party ideas
- Decorate using themes or colours.
- Make crafts or play party games.
- Have a theme-based scavenger hunt.
- Sing special songs or read books about your theme.
- On birthdays, have the birthday child be your “special helper” for the day.
Serve fun and healthy foods
- Serve a vegetable or fruit tray with yogurt dip. Arrange the fruit and vegetables in fun shapes or colour-themed trays.
- Plan a “build your own” party. Let each child build their own sandwich, pizza, taco, salad or yogurt parfait from a variety of healthy ingredients.
- Help children make a “Friendship Fruit Salad.” Each child can choose a different fruit to add to the salad. Stir it gently and serve.
- Add chunks of melon, slices of citrus fruit or cucumber to a pitcher of water. Call it “Wacky Water” and offer it to party guests to drink.