An exciting weekend of multi-sport action wrapped up in Airdrie with medal presentations to the athletes on Monday afternoon.
The four-day biennial event saw 1,700 competitors from across the province participate in 19 sports in and around Airdrie. Alberta’s Winter Games showcase a wide variety of sports including ringette, speed skating, figure skating, curling, futsal, wrestling and judo. Participants in each sport qualify for attending through zone playoffs held throughout the province.
“The skill, resolve and love of sport displayed by these young athletes at the 2020 Alberta Winter Games was inspiring. My sincere congratulations to all the competitors; may your future in sport continue to shine. The success of these games also rests with the host city, games organizers and volunteers. Through their warmth and hospitality, they certainly set the bar high for these games. We look forward to seeing you all at the 2020 Alberta Summer Games in Lethbridge.”
Leela Sharon Aheer, Minister of Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women
The event is coordinated by the Ministry of Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women in partnership with the host city.
Aside from distribution of medals for individual and team performances, the following sports zones received awards:
- The Alberta Cup, for the zone achieving the most medals was awarded to Zone 3 (Calgary).
- The Minister’s Cup, for the most improved zone, was awarded to Zone 4 (Parkland).
- The Spirit of Sportsman Award, for the zone best demonstrating fair play, sportsmanship, team spirit and cooperation on and off the field of play, was awarded to Zone 2 (Big Country).
The Alberta government provided $420,000 to support the 2020 Alberta Winter Games, including $70,000 designated for cultural activities. The event generates about $3 million in economic impact for host communities.
More than 40 athletes who have participated in the Alberta Winter Games have gone on to represent Canada at the Olympics, including:
- Two-time Olympic gold medal hockey player Meaghan Mikkelson
- Alpine skier Erik Read
- Speed skater Brianne Tutt
- Olympic bronze medal skeleton athlete Melissa Hollingsworth
- Curler Joanne Courtney