HIGH RIVER, AB: On Saturday, May 7 volunteers will be cleaning up green spaces around High River in the 12th annual Community Green Sweep hosted by the Town of High River.
Volunteers are needed to help with raking leaves, collecting branches, picking up garbage and more. The event starts at 8 a.m. at the High River Fire Hall (1010 5 Street S.E.) with a free light breakfast for volunteers.
The Community Green Sweep will also include:
Hands on Black Knot pruning workshop
- Learn how to identify, prune and safely dispose of Black Knot infected branches.
- Bring your own hand pruners to take part in a practice session guided by Town parks staff.
- Drop off your unwanted electronics to be recycled.
- Includes televisions, computers (CPU, keyboard, mouse, cables, and speakers), monitors, printers, laptops and tablets.
Landfill tipping fees
- From May 2-7 the Town will pay the tipping fees of High River residents taking non-commercial, residential waste, to the Foothills Regional Landfill. Must be a current resident of High River.
- The tipping fees will also be waived for Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) in quantities under 20 litres. Residents dropping off more than 20 litres of HHW will be charged the standard fees at the Foothills Regional Landfill.
- Please note that Household Hazardous Waste will NOT be accepted at the Fire Hall and must be taken to the Foothills Regional Landfill.
In case of inclement weather the event will be rescheduled to Saturday, May 14 (updates will be posted at www.highriver.ca and the Town’s Facebook and Twitter accounts).
All volunteers, as well as the entire community, are invited to stay for the Get Connected! Community BBQ at 12 p.m. Play games and listen to music provided by the Neighbourhood Block Party Trailer. Meet other residents, connect with friends and learn about how to be prepared for an emergency. Representatives from EMS, RCMP, Salvation Army and Emergency Management will be available to answer questions.