Do your loved ones know what type of medical care you would want if you were unable to speak for yourself?
Many of us “save for a rainy day”, plan for retirement, or even plan our next vacation. Just as important, we need to plan for our health care future – and make sure our wishes are known.
April 16, 2016 is National Advance Care Planning Day. Alberta Health Services is encouraging you to think about, talk about and document your wishes for healthcare to ensure your voice is heard. Advance Care Planning allows your family or close friends to know what kind of care you want, and could bring comfort and peace of mind to those making healthcare decisions on your behalf.
On April 16, take the time to talk to your friends and family about your wishes. If there’s an unexpected event or change in your health and you aren’t able to make decisions about your healthcare, having a plan in place ensures your wishes are known. Check out AHS’s interactive guide to help you start the conversation.
Things you can do:
- Learn about Advance Care Planning
- Think about your values and wishes for your healthcare now and in the future
- Talk with those who you are close to about your values and wishes
- Discuss your wishes with your health care provider
- Consider naming an Alternate Decision Maker or agent
- Complete your personal directive
It’s about making choices for your health care before a personal crisis, you owe it to yourself and you owe it to your family to think about your health care wishes now. Visit: www.conversationsmatter.ca