March is Nutrition Month! Dietitians in Alberta Health Services across the province are inspiring Albertans to Make a Change: One Meal at a Time. Are you ready to improve your health? Now is the time to make small changes at mealtimes that can have big results. To help make these changes easier, dietitians have put together Nutrition Month tips and ideas. To get started, try one or more of these small changes:
Boost your Breakfast with Fibre and Protein.
A nutrient-packed breakfast will help you get through the morning. How can you boost the fibre and protein in your breakfast?
- Choose whole grain cereals, breads and tortillas.
- Look for cereals and breads that have two grams or more of fibre per serving.
- Try items such as yogurt, cheese, meat, eggs, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, or cooked beans or lentils.
Make healthy lunch a habit. A healthy lunch provides much needed fuel and nutrients to help you focus during your work day.
Some easy time-saving tips for lunches are:
- Pack up supper leftovers for ready-to-go lunches.
- Wash and cut up vegetables and fruit the night before. Put into small plastic containers or bags.
- Change it up. Sandwiches, wraps and pitas are quick and healthy lunch options.
Dish up a Healthy Dinner Plate. When deciding what to have for dinner, use Health Canada’s Eat Well Plate. The Eat Well Plate recommends:
- Fill half of your plate with vegetables and fruit.
- Include different whole grains such as whole grain rice, barley, couscous, quinoa at each meal.
- Choose lean meats or meat alternatives.
Enjoy your Meal Experience. How you eat can be just as important as what you eat. Focus on your meal and the people you are eating with.
- Slow down to make time for meals. No matter how busy life gets, make meals a priority.
- Turn off all devices! Make meal times a screen-free zone (no television, phones, computers, tablets or toys at the table). Eat together. People eat better when they eat together. Sharing meals helps people connect with each other.
By taking some small steps, you can Make a Change: One Meal at a Time to improve your eating, nutrition and health. Make your healthy habits last a lifetime. Happy Nutrition Month!