The Government of Alberta is seeking applications for the Green Transit Initiatives Program (GreenTRIP).
GreenTRIP provides funding to municipalities to support local priorities for sustainable, affordable and environmentally sound public transit in their communities.
“Support for transit is support for all Albertans. GreenTRIP capital infrastructure spending will create much-needed jobs – employing construction workers to build transit projects and transit operators to run them.”
Brian Mason, Transportation Minister
“As our region’s population grows, the Calgary Regional Partnership has always aimed to plan for smart transit to accommodate this. With the announcement of the Government of Alberta’s support of public transit capital projects through GreenTRIP, we are very pleased. We would like to congratulate the Alberta Government on the focus of regional transportation. This will support our vision of creating an economically modern and healthy region that will improve transit for residents across our communities.”
Bill Robertson, Mayor, Okotoks – Chair, Calgary Regional Partnership
“Today’s announcement is evidence that our provincial government is serious about climate change and about reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Sustainable public transit alternatives are a key strategy for many communities. We look forward to continuing to work together to make Alberta a leader in environmental protection.”
Pat Letizia, Executive Director, Alberta Ecotrust Foundation
- A total of $415 million of the original $2-billion commitment to GreenTRIP remains in the fund:
– $130 million for municipalities within the Calgary Region of a total allocation of $800 million: and
-$285 million for rural municipalities from the original allocation of $400 million.
- Information about the program and applications for funding can be found on Alberta Transportation’s GreenTRIP website.
- Applications will be accepted until the end of June 2016.
- Approved projects will be announced in the fall of 2016.
- The full $800 million for municipalities within the capital region, including Edmonton, has been allocated.
- A complete list of funded or approved GreenTRIP projects can be found on the GreenTRIP website.