The Honourable Robert E. Wanner, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta will host the Special Olympics Alberta and the Law Enforcement Torch Run for their torch-lighting ceremony on the front steps of the Alberta Legislature Building. The ceremony will be the official start of the final leg that will carry the flame to the 2017 Special Olympics Alberta Summer Games in Medicine Hat.
The torch-lighting ceremony takes place today at noon and includes a flame procession and lighting with an honour guard consisting of Special Olympics athletes and members of the Law Enforcement Torch Run.
- Honourable Robert E. Wanner, MLA, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta
- Honourable Ricardo Miranda, MLA, Minister of Culture and Tourism
- Leela Aheer, MLA, on behalf of the Leader of the Official Opposition
- Ric McIver, MLA, Leader of the PC Opposition
- Wilma Shim, Board Chair, Special Olympics Alberta
- Andrew Ference, Chair, Alberta Sport Connection
- Deputy Chief James Stiles, RCMP, Law Enforcement Torch Run
- Brian Varga, Medicine Hat City Councillor, Games Organizing Committee Chair
- Neil Ivan, Special Olympics Alberta athlete
Special Olympics Alberta is dedicated to enriching the lives of Albertans with intellectual disabilities through sport.
The Law Enforcement Torch Run is a grassroots organization made up of law enforcement officers who are dedicated to raising awareness and funds for Special Olympics.
Torch run final leg events will take place across Alberta leading up to the Special Olympics Alberta Summer Games in Medicine Hat from July 7 to 9, where over 1,000 athletes will take part in the sporting competition.