The Wood Buffalo RCMP would like to remind the public that school was back in session September 6, 2016. Increased vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be moving throughout our communities. For the safety of our children and to help keep students and citizens safe, please pay attention to the speed limits and cross walks in school and playground zones. The 30km/hr speed zone time is from 7:30am to 4:30pm every school day but it is good practice to assume children are present at all times and slow down. The RCMP will be working collaboratively with the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Municipal Law Enforcement, encouraging people to follow parking bylaws and safe pedestrian practices.
Here are some ways that you can help keep our community safe:
- Pedestrians should always use crosswalks
- Obey the 30 km/h speed limit in school zones
- Don’t park within 10 metres of the approach of a crosswalk, stop sign, or yield sign
- Don’t park within 1.5 metres of a driveway
- Don’t park within 5 metres of a fire hydrant
- Don’t park in fire lanes
- Don’t park in transit zones
- Be extra cautious in and around construction zones
With the return of students to school the public can also expect to see school buses on the road again. We would like to remind the public that when the red lights are flashing and the stop sign is out, driver’s are obligated to “Stop”. Failing to do so could earn a driver a $543.00 fine.
We all have role to play in keeping our students safe this school year.