Speaker Wanner will host a Gurpurab celebration in honour of the First Guru, Guru Nanak Dev Ji, on Saturday, November 26, 2016, at 10 a.m. in the Capital View Room on the second floor of the Edmonton Federal Building (EFB) at 9820-107 Street.
“We commemorate the legacy of a man who recognized the equality and unity of all people and, by doing so, helped to bring together a society divided by religion, gender and social status,” said Robert E. Wanner, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
Remarks will be delivered by:
- Honourable Robert E. Wanner, MLA, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly
- Honourable Irfan Sabir, MLA, Minister of Human Services
- Mr. Tany Yao, MLA, on behalf of the Leader of the Official Opposition
- Prab Gill, MLA, on behalf of the Leader of the PC Opposition
- Ms. Roop Rai, community representative
A philosopher, teacher, spiritual leader and champion for human rights and civil liberties, Guru Nanak Dev Ji founded Sikhism, a religion and culture that today is practised by more than 20 million people world-wide.
In addition to the formal remarks, the event will feature the following religious and cultural practises: Keertan, Ardaas and Hukamnaama. Langar will also be served.