On October 27, 2016, the Legislative Assembly will host the Alberta-NWT Command Royal Canadian Legion as they present the first poppy to Her Honour the Honourable Lois Mitchell, CM, AOE, LLD, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, officially beginning the annual poppy campaign in Alberta.
“It is our duty to honour the immeasurable sacrifices that the Canadian Forces have made in the line of service,” said the Honourable Robert E. Wanner, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta. “We wear the poppy near to our hearts to show not only our gratitude but also our respect and support for those who have fought and continue to fight to protect the freedom of so many.”
Poppy Presentation Ceremony
Hosted by the Honourable Robert E. Wanner
Alberta Legislature Rotunda
Thursday, October 27, at 11 a.m.
Remarks will be delivered by:
- Her Honour the Honourable Lois Mitchell, CM, AOE, LLD, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta
- Honourable Robert E. Wanner, MLA, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly
- Ms. Nicole Goehring, MLA (on behalf of the Premier of Alberta)
- Mr. Brian Jean, MLA, Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition
- Representative (on behalf of the Leader of the Progressive Conservative Opposition)
- Comrade Rosalind LaRose, District 4 Commander, AB-NWT Command, Royal Canadian Legion
The Royal Canadian Legion’s annual poppy campaign takes place from the last Friday in October until November 11, Remembrance Day. Proceeds from the campaign are used to provide direct assistance to Canada’s veterans in need.