Albertans sampled savoury and sweet flavours during the first ever farmers’ market on the legislature grounds, firing up conversations about local food.
“Local food supports the production of safe, high-quality fresh food, creates innovative small business opportunities and contributes to improved social, environmental and health outcomes for Albertans. We are helping get those goods from farm to table and in the process making life better for Albertans.”
“Farmers’ markets are important business incubators and our market has helped many small producers, processors and artisans nurture their business ideas. Our guidelines specifically are written toward supporting local growers, artisans and bakers first. The Beverly Farmers’ Market has become the No. 1 community gathering place in Beverly.”
Minister Carlier recently met with local food stakeholders during the first Minister’s Roundtable for the Advancement of Agriculture and Forestry. They discussed how local foods play an important part in Alberta’s agriculture sector.
Supporting the growth of the local food industry is an important step in achieving the province’s economic diversification and job-creation goals.
In 2016, Alberta’s food and beverage processing sales totalled a record $14.6 billion and the sector employed more than 22,400 Albertans.
Consumer interest in, and demand for, local food continues to grow. Local food sales in direct-to-consumer channels (farmers’ markets and retail) have more than doubled since 2008 and are expected to exceed $1.2 billion in 2017.
The event also helped to kick off Alberta Agriculture and Forestry’s United Way campaign and collected food and donations for the Edmonton Food Bank.
Selection of Beverly Towne Farmers’ Market food vendors that were at the Sept. 27 legislature grounds market:
- Holden Colony: Hot house and field vegetables, eggs, pickles, chickens
- Mr. Jerky: Various jerkies, sausage & pepperoni
- House of the rising bun: cookies and cakes
- AIG Osoyoos Orchards: BC Fruit
- Catch of the Day: fish & sea food
- Evelyn’s Homemade Eats: Cabbage Rolls, Pyrohy, Naleshnichy, Perushky
- Chipzz & Dipzz: chips & dips
- Simple Simon Pies: frozen savoury & fruit pies, soups
- Caribbean Kitchen: jerk spring rolls, wartip, along with homemade dipping sauces
- Rosie’s Natural Honey: honey products
- Fudgelicious: varieties of fudge
- Spice of Life: specific meal-blended seasonings & spices
- Market by Numbers: pies, doughnuts, breads & cookies
- Myco Innovations: mushrooms