Town of Turner Valley 2016 Mayor’s Christmas Message
The season of giving is upon us, and as we prepare to celebrate this special time of year, I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.
We have a wonderful community in Turner Valley and exceptional neighbours in the region. I’m very proud to call this town home and every day I witness the support and kindness of our residents.
Let’s remember to drive safely, to donate to our local food bank, to be snow angels and to look after our neighbours. Let’s take care of each other, not just throughout the Christmas season, but all year long.
Let us continue to support local businesses as we are truly blessed with the shops and store owners we have here and in Black Diamond. The downturn will no doubt have left some feeling gloomy, and especially during challenging economic times like these, I encourage us all to try to keep purchases local and to support our producers whenever possible. Our small businesses are a critical part of the community, and they provide employment and are essential in helping our towns grow and thrive.
We continue to build towards a better, brighter future with visible progress, including the:
- implementation of a 40km/h community speed limit, thus increasing safety in our community
- development of a commuter transit pilot project to Okotoks and Calgary
- redevelopment and dedication of Perdue Park and its playground equipment
- improvements to downtown commercial area
- purchase of a new fire apparatus in partnership with the MD of Foothills
- continuation of the water meter replacement program
- installation of new flower boxes as part of the downtown beautification program
- enhancement of communications with the 4-way stop electronic signboard
- paving of new sidewalks for increased pedestrian safety
- ongoing commitment to collaborative partnerships with regional neighbours and stakeholders
I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to all staff and volunteers whose unwavering dedication to providing the highest service to the community is truly appreciated. A small town such as ours depends heavily on the many talents and time unselfishly shared by these remarkable individuals and groups. Special recognition and warm thanks are extended to the fire departments and protective services staff, in both communities, who risk their lives every day to keep us safe.
On behalf of the Council and staff, I extend my warmest wishes to everyone in our community. We wish you many blessings and invite you to ring in 2017 with your neighbours at the Turner Valley Family New Year’s Eve Celebration at the Flare n’ Derrick Community Hall. May the spirit of this wonderful season be with you and your loved ones throughout the holidays.
Mayor Kelly Tuck
Town of Turner Valley