Awards mark venues’ commitment towards safety and responsible service
Seventy-nine Edmonton bars, clubs, pubs and restaurants received Best Bar None accreditation for their commitment to high service and safety standards.
Venues that demonstrated outstanding commitment to make their nightspot a safer environment were recognized at the 7th annual Best Bar None Edmonton Accreditation & Awards Night on November 22 at the Santa Maria Goretti Centre.
This year’s winners include:
- Bar/Lounge: OTR Kitchen + Drink
- Hotel Bar: The Lion’s Head Pub – Radisson Edmonton South
- Restaurant and Bar-Independent: Teddy’s Palace
- Restaurant and Bar – Chain: Boston Pizza Lounge (Mill Woods)
- Small Pub: Kelly’s Pub
- Pub: Hudson Canada’s Pub (Whyte Avenue)
- Large Pub: O’Byrne’s Irish Pub
- Club: The Ranch Roadhouse
- Campus: The Nest Taphouse Grill (NAIT)
- Casino: The Casino at Northlands Park Racetrack and Casino
“Congratulations to all the winners and accredited venues in their commitment to provide patrons a safe and enjoyable experience,” said Bill Robinson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC). “Over the past seven years, we’ve seen continued growth of this program through the collaborative efforts of industry and our partners, the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Police Service, who are helping to address alcohol-related harms and promote responsible consumption.”
“Thank you to these establishments who have put the safety of their patrons at the top of their priority list,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “Their commitment to excellence contributes to a safe and vibrant nightlife for Edmontonians as well as a strong local economy.”
“In general, bars that adhere to industry best practices are the ones police are called to less often,” said Darlene Savoie, Acting Deputy Chief, Edmonton Police Service. “The increase in the number of accredited vendors is testament to the reputation of the Best Bar None program, and we’re more confident than ever that it helps reduce crime in and around those premises.”
Best Bar None is an accreditation and awards program for liquor-licensed venues that aims to reduce alcohol-related problems by:
- encouraging nightspots to adopt best practices related to customer safety and responsible levels of alcohol;
- giving nightspots the tools to be better prepared for any alcohol-related harms; and
- building positive relationships between the industry, enforcement, agencies, government and community.
Edmontonians can determine if a venue is Best Bar None accredited by a plaque and door signage on display within the premises informing patrons and area residents of their participation in the program.
Best Bar None is a partnership between the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission, the City of Edmonton and Edmonton Police Service with support from the Alberta Safer Bars Council. For a full list of accredited venues for Best Bar None Edmonton, visit bestbarnone.ab.ca.