During the holiday season, festive gatherings often mean a lot of food! How can you enjoy what the holiday season has to offer while still making healthy choices? Read on for tips on how to make it possible.
- Since you will likely be busier than usual, have convenient healthy food available.
- Buy washed cut up vegetables and fruit for easier choices at meals and snacks.
- Keep higher calorie food out of sight. This makes it less tempting to have them for a snack.
- If there are leftovers from a meal, send them home with guests in decorative holiday containers, or package up for future meals.
- If you bake for the holidays ahead of time, freeze until serving.
At parties and gatherings:
- Bring a healthier option–grilled shrimp, chicken satay, cut up raw vegetables or a fruit tray.
- Socialize away from the food table.
- Choose lower calorie drinks like virgin Caesars, sugar-free pop or sparkling water.
- Use a smaller plate.
- Fill half your plate with vegetables and fruit.
- Focus on the food when eating and eat slowly.
Learn more healthy tips at Healthy Eating Starts Here http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/5602.asp.