Alberta – Celebrations are occurring across the province as the winners of the 2013 STARS Lottery were announced. This year, 3,200 prizes were up for grabs worth more than $5.6 million retail. This was the 20th year of the STARS Lottery, which has sold out every year and has raised about $132.6 million net since it began. This year’s top prize winners include:
• Sheila Donally of Chauvin Calgary show home worth $1.2 million retail
• Janet Lavoie of Leduc St. Albert show home worth $958,000 retail
• Jeffrey McAllister of Warburg Red Deer show home worth $930,000 retail
• Liana Kelso of Drayton Valley Lethbridge show home worth $795,000 retail
• Michelle Davey of Lethbridge Home away from home truck and trailer package worth $144,000 retail
“I’m in shock, I’m shaking and my mouth is dry,” replied Sheila Donally after she was asked how it felt to win the Calgary show home. “I didn’t expect to win any of the big prizes. I’ve purchased a STARS Lottery ticket every year since they have come out.”
Michelle Davey heard she won from some friends who had watched the live draws on television. “I was so excited. I was turning on the news to see if it was still on. I’ve been buying tickets for years – it’s amazing to win a great truck and holiday trailer.”
STARS Vice President of Alberta Operations, Mike Lamacchia, thanked supporters, saying every single ticket purchased helps saves lives. “The lottery is the single largest source of funding for STARS in Alberta, raising more than $10.5 million net this year. Every ticket sold helps a critically ill or injured patient,” said Lamacchia. “We would like to congratulate the winners and thank everyone who purchased a ticket. Your tremendous support of STARS helps save lives.”
Other top prize winners include:
• Terry Angus of Calgary 2013 BMW Z4sDrive 35i Roadster
• Marcelle Flahr of Cochrane 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab 4×4
• Mary Vollweiter of Edmonton 2013 Acura ILX Hybrid
• Roy Lavalley of Edmonton 2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TPrem Tip qtro
For general information about the STARS Lottery and for a complete list of winners, which will be posted on April 5, 2013, visit www.starslottery.ca. Lottery license number 345276.
STARS is a charitable, non-profit helicopter air ambulance organization that provides rapid and specialized emergency medical care and transportation for critically ill and injured patients. Our physicians, nurses, paramedics and pilots work with a team of dedicated support staff and community partners to save lives. STARS operates from bases in Calgary, Edmonton, Grand Prairie, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg.